How do you keep up with what is happening in the world around you? Especially in the fast changing beer and wine worlds? I mean, you could rely on our Twitter and Facebook feeds! We do try to keep them very informative … but those may not be the full view of the world that you are looking for. So, here are a few of the resources that we look towards for breaking news, in-depth articles, opinion pieces, sarcasm, and more! In no particular order:
- GoodBeerHunting: Best described by a quote in one of their recent articles that was spawned by the Wicked Weed sale:
“GBH gets hilariously mislabeled in a number of ways. Depending on who you ask, we’re either a “hipster craft beer blog,” an “AB apologist,” or just a plain old “sell-out.” I’m fine if any of those sides want to disown us or claim us—that’s not my prerogative. It also tells me that if everyone’s a little uncomfortable, then we’re probably focusing on the right thing—namely, the intellectual pursuit of where beer is going and who’s taking us there.”
- VinePair: A site that focuses on the culture of drinking. It has it’s share of listicles, but also has a section of longform articles that are worth checking out. Their longform review of Cork Dork is an excellent summation of how the book fails at the central tenant of demystifying wine and instead embracing the snobbery that it tries to lampoon. There are articles about being a somm, minorities in craft beer, and Anthony Bourdain.
- Wine Enthusiast: Duh! Maybe not exactly the type of coverage that we love, but a necessity.
- Decanter: Are the British better at writing about wine? We don’t know, but they do pay more attention to France and certain other parts of Europe. Plus, their opinion section is top-notch!
- PorchDrinking.com: Unfortunately, they are Kentucky basketball fans, but they run a damn good beer blog! Full of reviews, recipes, and more, they have a great variety of articles and keep it light. Their Ultimate 6er series is a lot of fun, especially if you have a hard time deciding what to drink!
So, that’s a few of the places that we turn to for news, where do you go? What do you like to read? How do you stay informed about the world?
This Week’s Schedule: