The Christmas season is a constant flurry of shopping, cooking, party-planning, party-going, eating, drinking, gift-giving, and more! Which is why we went ahead and put together a Christmas Wine Pairing list for you! These are all wines that we would suggest you go ahead and stock up on for the rest of the festive season because they go great with a lot of seasonal food and are perfect for celebrating this special time of the year.
- Rose Champagne: Whether you are struggling to pair something with Pigs in a Blanket or just want something more celebratory to pair with the turkey, try a bottle of Besserat de Bellefon Brut Rose. If that’s too much for your budget, we would suggest Willm Brut Rose for a great bottle of French sparkling at a wonderful price. Or, if that’s too mainstream for you, try either the Balfour Brut Rose or the Patton Valley Vineyard Pet Nat Pinot Noir.
- Chardonnay: Often ignored and maligned, Chardonnay is an awesome food wine, especially White Burgundies or those from California and elsewhere that follow in their footsteps. They pair well with turkey and stuffing, but for the best experience, we recommend that you upgrade to something a little nicer this time of year: 2014 Jean-Claude Bachelet Et Fils Saint-Aubin 1er Cru. If you are looking for something biodynamically farmed, try the 2016 Tripoz Macon-Loche. Going it alone this holiday season, then you might want to try to cool, locally-grown cans of Chardonnay from Old Westminster.
- Pinot Noir: If you are a Pinot Noir fan, you have to be careful because the lighter styles can be overpowered by some of the accompaniments on the table! So, go with California, Australia, and other warmer climate Pinot, such as 2015 Hitching Post Hometown Pinot Noir.
Christmas Wine Pairing is a great time to explore the rest of the map and see what a great Bordeaux, Chianti, or Rioja could do with a meal of turkey and/or ham. Additionally, if you are going to have anything sweet, don’t forget to check out those sections and to let us know what desserts you may be having … or just grab a bottle of Tawny Port!
This Week’s Schedule:
- Cider Tuesday, 5-7p: Foggy Ridge Cider
- Beer Thursday, 5-7p: Chaos Mountain Brewing
- Wine Friday, 5-7p: An Italian Christmas with Fabio
- Staff Pick, 5-7p: Staff Pick Tasting